While the majority of deliveries at hospitals in the United States occur without incident, in a small percentage of births delivery complications, errors and mistakes may lead to devastating birth injuries. One of the most common and serious health condition caused by difficulties in delivery is cerebral palsy. "Cerebral palsy" includes several different types of neurological disorders that affect muscle coordination and movement, and in some cases substantial cognitive disorders. Although not all the causes leading to cerebral palsy are known, it has been linked to oxygen deprivation at birth. Oxygen deprivation may occur as the result of delivery mistakes such as the failure to perform a timely Cesarean section when an infant is displaying signs of fetal distress.
Other common causes of cerebral palsy linked to medical mistakes include:
• The failure to detect and treat prenatal infections. This includes conditions such as meningitis.
• The careless or reckless use of forceps or vacuum during the delivery.
• The failure to properly monitor the mother and infant's heart rate throughout the labor and delivery process.
• Falling to observe or detect a prolapsed umbilical cord and
• The delay/failure to perform necessary medical procedures warranted by the requisite standard of care.
While not all incidents of cerebral palsy are cause by negligence at birth, if you believe medical malpractice may have lead to your child developing cerebral palsy, it is crucial you consult with a top Los Angeles birth injury attorney to begin an investigation at once.
For more information, please contact the top Los Angeles birth injury law firm of Bostwick & Peterson, LLP for an immediate consultation.