Erik L. Peterson is a nationally recognized civil trial lawyer known for his record results. This includes his recent recovery of what’s believed to be the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history.
Over his 30+ years in practice, Mr. Peterson has successfully tried and won complex claims involving medical malpractice, birth injuries, maritime law, serious personal injury, and wrongful death. He has secured numerous high-value settlements and verdicts that have set state records. This includes:
- A $17 million birth injury settlement secured in 2019 over brain damage resulting from failure to treat a routine infection in pregnancy. This is the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history (present value).
- A $21 million verdict with interest and costs for a client who suffered a mild traumatic brain injury in a trucking accident. The verdict is the largest net compensatory award of its type for an individual in California history.
Mr. Peterson’s passion for advocacy and proven success record have earned him recognition as one of the most accomplished civil litigators in the U.S. He has been selected to Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2006, is named among The Best Lawyers in America and The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, and is a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invite-only trial lawyer society with membership limited to less than one-half of one percent of practicing U.S. attorneys.
Mr. Peterson is licensed to practice in Hawaii and California and represents victims in birth injury and medical malpractice claims nationwide.
Awards / Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2021)
- Super Lawyers® Magazine (2006-2021)
- Hawaii Medical Malpractice Super Lawyers® (2019)
- Top 100 Lawyers Registry Attorney of the Year California for Medical Malpractice (2019)
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys (Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury Litigation)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®
- Top 25 Medical Malpractice Trial Lawyers in California by The National Trial Lawyers Association
Memberships / Distinctions
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Hawaii Association for Justice
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Judge Pro-Tem, Superior Court of San Francisco
- Panelist, San Francisco Bar Association Early Settlement Program
- Board of Directors, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Download attorneys Peterson's V-Card